Wednesday 7 May 2014

End of Module Self Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Throughout this module I have definitely improved my writing skills. Through the various lectures, seminars and study tasks I have gained a better method of recording and interpreting information. I have taken new approaches with my writing for each of the five study tasks. I found some of these more difficult than others as they were approaches to writing I had never been confronted with before. Throughout this module, my ability to record and decipher information has also become noticeably stronger. Choosing my own essay title seemed difficult originally, but being given the independence to choose a topic independently has helped me to outline my core interests.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

In terms of design production, I wanted to experiment with new ideas. Unfortunately, due to time restrictions, I wasn't able to carry out my main idea: to expose my four hip hop artist quotes onto a fabric screen and foil the quotes onto the final record sleeves. Another limitation was the unavailability of certain other facilities like the laser cutter. As an alternative solution, I attempted to cut the quotes out with a scalpel. This proved to be extremely difficult and the outcome looked rushed, scruffy and undesirable. I was eventually able to lasercut, however it was really near to the deadline so again I had to alter my original production ideas. The final method of production reflects hip hop culture through the use of photographs of each artist, their lyrics presented in a hand-written typeface, gold spray painted stencils resembling graffiti spray painting, and finally a quote from the artists but also my essay to link them all together.


3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I particularly enjoyed the writing element of this module. As it is the only module where we focus on the academic side of art and design, I feel I have gained new knowledge on a broad spectrum of topics. Writing is something I have always enjoyed, which I think has benefitted me throughout the essay and various study tasks. I will capitalise on this by ensuring I am organised, determined and motivated in future writing tasks – particularly my dissertation. I have found this module one of the most interesting so far. I have particularly enjoyed learning about identity and constructing 'the other'.


4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Again, time restrictions were a big issue for me in this module – particularly affecting the method of production. I was confronted with a series of limitations due to poor time management and unrealistic goals. This definitely caused me to fall behind schedule and effect my final outcomes. In the future, I will make sure I have prepared my ideas more realistically.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  • Next time I will allow more time for mistakes.
  • I will ensure my final outcomes are made to the highest possible quality. This will add an emphasis and justify the time spent creating it.
  • I need to seek more advice from others (within University and externally) to refine my ideas to the most appropriate outcomes.
  • I don't feel pleased with the amount of research I managed to carry out during this module. In future I need to go outside of my comfort zone to gain as much knowledge and content as possible.
  • I need to learn to start looking at my mistakes as a learning curve as opposed to a step backwards.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment