Thursday 11 October 2012

Alphabet Soup - Designing a Typeface to Represent Ant

For tast 2 of Alphabet Soup I have been paired up with Ant. The new task is to generate an alphabet which represents Ant. 
To begin my research I needed to learn a bit more about him. The questions given were:

What is your favourite colour?
Blue

What is your earliest memory?
Driving a toy tractor down some steps

Which living designer do you most admire and why?
Neville Brody because I like his work, its similar to my preferred style

What is your most treasured possession?
My Car

What would your super power be?
Flying

Which piece of graphic design do you wish you had created?
The Starbucks logo because it is so well recognised

Who would play you in the film of your life?
Jimmy Stewart

Who would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Alfred Hitchcock

What makes you unhappy?
Sad Animals - I can't look at them

What would be your ideal fancy dress costume?
Slender Man

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
But why? (in a patronising voice)

I also then continued to ask Ant a few more of my own questions such as how he would describe his personality, where he is from, his main art interests, the kind of music he likes and if he had any favourite hobbies.


From talking to Ant for a while I learned he's irish, really likes Neville brody, he is easily stressed out but usually easy going. On the subject of music he enjoys mainly Indie Rock music - especially really loud. His interest in wanting to of designed the Starbucks logo suggests he is into logos and generally well recognised design. The other names mentioned apart from Neville Brody included Jimmy Stewart, Alfred Hitchcock and Slender man. So, these faces in a slightly Irish-inspired Neville Brody style alphabet is a good base for my research.

1. Neville Brody
Wikipedia: Neville Brody (born 23 April 1957 in London) is an English graphic designertypographer and art director.[1]
Neville Brody is an alumnus of the London College of Printing and Hornsey College of Art, and is known for his work on The Facemagazine (1981–1986) and Arena magazine (1987–1990), as well as for designing record covers for artists such as Cabaret Voltaireand Depeche Mode. He created the company Research Studios in 1994 and is a founding member of Fontworks. He has been announced to be the new Head of the Communication Art & Design department at the Royal College of Art commencing in January 2011.



“typography is a hidden tool of manipulation within society. - neville brody”




I found an interesting website with a selection of fonts designed by Neville Brody which are available to experiment with: Neville Brody Fonts

To develop my research into Neville Brody I intend to learn more about Face magazine and Arena magazine as they were both directed by him. I like the idea of somehow playing with words to convey 'typeface' magazine in a similar style to 'face' magazine but I am still unsure if it will be possible.


Alfred Hitchcock
Here is a nice website I found of images of Alfred Hitchcock Alfred Hitchcock Images

Irish Celtic Designs









No comments:

Post a Comment